Gene Bays Memorial Scholarship
The Gene Bays Memorial Scholarship will be awarded annually to an eligible student by the Matthew H. Wilson Assembly 1988, Knights of Columbus - Fourth Degree, in La Marque, Texas. To meet the basic minimum requirements for eligibility the following will be required.
A maximum of two scholarships will be awarded by a panel of judges on a competitive basis each year. The decision of the judges is final.
- The applicant must be either blood related, legally adopted, or a step child or grandchild of a member in good standing of the Matthew H. Wilson Assembly 1988.
- The applicant’s gender will have no basis on the decision by the panel of judges.
- Applicant must be a Confirmed Catholic in good standing with the Catholic Church.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen with no felony convictions.
- Applicant must attend a 2 or 4 year accredited college full time.
(12 semester hours minimum).
- If applicant receives additional scholarships totaling over $10,000 he/she will be disqualified and the scholarship will be awarded to the next qualified candidate.
- Applicant must have maintained a G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher upon graduation.
In addition to submitting a completed application a candidate must also provide the following information:
- Two (2) Community Reference Letters.
- Two (2) Teacher Recommendations.
- An official transcript of high school grades through the first semester of the Student's senior year including SAT score.
- A 500-1000 word essay on Patriotism in applicant's own handwriting.
(Exceptions made for physical disability not permitting handwriting requirement).
The award ($500) selection will be announced prior to the start of the school terms. Any monies provided will be in the form of a reimbursement for expenses (e.g. books, fees, tuition, etc.)
The completed applications with attachments must be returned to the Faithful Navigator by April 1st.